Antique Brick Questions

I sometimes get questions like “where can I buy antique brick?”  Or “how can I fix my old brick barn?”  Sometimes these questions are easy to answer and sometimes they are hard.  First of all, antique brick is not antique because it is common.  Named bricks (ones with the name of the city or builder stamped into them) are less common and therefore hold more value.  Some Chaska bricks had the name “Chaska” stamped into them and are still somewhat common even today.  However, they can easily command $5 to $10 per brick.  Bricks that have no stamp on them are less expensive because it is hard to determine where they came from.

Where can you find antique bricks?  Clearly the internet auction realm is the way to go or they may even be listed in the local newspaper.  Online auctions can bring some pretty decent amounts for just a single brick, depending how rare it is.  If you want more than one brick, the challenge can be even greater.  The best way to get a bunch of antique bricks is to find an old building which is being torn down or will soon be torn down.  If you can contact the owner, sometimes they plan on selling these bricks.  If so, they are usually willing to sell a bunch of the brick as a lot.  Sometimes the owner even knows where the brick came from.

Larger cities restore old buildings as part of the National Historic Register or other local use projects.  When old buildings get torn down, sometimes they stockpile old bricks to use in restoring other buildings.  I have seen the cities of Chaska and Carver keep stockpiles around just in case they are needed somewhere.  So you may have some competition from larger entities for these bricks.  I have also seen people tear down old brick structures, such as barns, just to recycle the bricks for other uses.  At Lake Mary, Minnesota, I found an old barn where all the bricks had already been spoken for.  Near Sauk Centre, Minnesota, I saw another barn being taken down for the bricks.  So it is possible to come across old antique bricks for sale.

Finally, I want to put in a plug for advertising.  My web site is here for the purpose of finding information about bricks, whether that be people who specialize in repairing old barns, people who do tuckpointing, or people selling antique bricks.  I really hope some of these people contact me about any brick services they provide or could use.  I would really hope that my site becomes a clearing house of information related to old bricks.  I almost bought an old barn to restore myself, so I had started looking into finding help with the barn restoration process.  These people are key to preserving old brick structures.  Let me know if I can help you out!

This entry was posted in Information. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Antique Brick Questions

1. Blane and Cretia Peterson says:

Hello, I sent another email to a similar address so dont be suprised if you get 2 emails from us. We salvaged about 4,000 Chaska bricks and are planning to sell them, there are a few Chicago bricks mixed in. They are in good shape. We are masons and planned to put them on our vintage farm house but that is no longer the case. If you know anyone who might be interested in them, I would appreciate it if you would pass on our email address. We can deliver if necessary.
    Kindest regards,
    Blane Peterson
    cretiapete@hotmail.com

2. Jack May says:

We want to preserve an A.C.O silo and will need a few unique brick or tile pieces for the top of the silo. Anyone have any bricks or tile from and A.C.O. Silo?

3. Danny Langone says:

I am demolishing a portion of my building and want to know the history of the brick. The building was originally a linen mill built in 1895 and then became Freeman Shoe Company in 1925. The brick are either cream or yellow and are marked ” Aaron>”. Do you have any idea as to where they may have originated and by whom? I am in Beloit, Wisconsin.

4. richard meals says:

my name is richard meals i just bought a big foundry building it is all brick made in the 1800s a guy came the other day and told me these bricks are worth money that they were fired around titsville pa and in the day they were expensive so very few building in the area was built with them i bought the building to salvage the steel but was wondering if you know any body that buy large qty of bricks i would say a million plus thanks rr meals

5. richard meals says:

IF YOU KNOW ANYONE INTERESTED IN THIS BRICK PLEASE LET ME KNOW

6. Kathy Oldenburg says:

I was just wondering if you could tell me anything about the Minnesota Ceramic Co.I have a brick here that is dark reddish brown and very heavy with that name on it.The only thing i could find was a picture of it in the CrookstonTimes.com and the article said they didn’t know anything about the company.Any information would be great.Thank You,Kathy

7. Gary Tefft says:

I noticed in the information on brick maker George Wilkinson of Red Wing that “St Paul” was inserted parenthetically in the text after “Hamlin University.” Hamlin University was founded in Red Wing and operated there for a number of years as the first institution of higher learning in Minnesota. Because many of its students and instructors left to join the Union forces during the Civil War it struggled and ultimately was moved to St Paul, where it has continued ever since.

8. Carol Gibbs says:

Richard Meals – I recently bought a Chaska Brick home (an old farmhouse) in Liberty Heights, which I feel is absolutely beautiful! Although I realize you are interested in selling your bricks in quantity, I would love to buy three to five of them, if you are interested in considering that. I would like to show my friends and relatives from California what Chaska Brick is when they come to visit (without taking my house apart)!

9. Fred Wolter says:

Kathy, your Minnesota Ceramic Co. brick was manufactured at Coon Creek, now known as Coon Rapids, MN. Unlike the soft, light bricks that were used for chimneys and facades, the Minnesota Ceramic bricks were given a much longer and hotter firing, resulting in a product that was “highly vitrified” and suitable for use as a paving brick. That’s why it’s so heavy. As far as I know it was the only paving brick ever made in Minnesota. Their primary use seems to have been for railroad station platforms in Minnesota and the Dakotas, especially along the Great Northern routes. They are not too easy to find, as the company existed for only about four years (1903-07) and only seems to have had good production years in 1905 and 1906. They never really were able to turn out a consistently good product. I’ve seen these bricks with deep cracks, big holes and sharp edges. That does give them a lot of character, though, which is why they are my favorite bricks among the many I’ve collected.

10. Alex Parker says:

I recently got 115,000 antique brick that were made in 1920. They were made by the Maysville Brick company, in Kentucky, although I can not find any info on them. The brick, which is 8x4x2.25 inches, has M.B.C.O or Maysville imprinted on them. Any information on the history, or potential value would be greatly appreciated.

11. Kay says:

Hi, I am in charge of restoring a 100 year old gothic cathedral made of red pressed brick in Crookston, MN. I am looking for more brick. Please let me know if you have any. These have no name on them, just the rectangle indent on the top. Crookston had a brick factory at one time. Anyone with brick from this factory may have the correct brick. Need about 10 asap. Any information on the history of this brick, or where I may find it would be greatly appreciated!

12. Dave Anderson says:

Does anyone on this site have pavers for sale? I would like to pave an area about 1000 sq ft and would prefer recycled pavers to buying new.
    Thanks

13. Joseph Sasenger says:

HI, i have 100,000 old bricks from a 130 year old building im taking down and i have no clue what to do with them, and i’m in missouri. Thank You.

14. mike burnett says:

anyone have any info on an old brick that has the words “DAVIS CROWN” on it ? and also an old brick with the words “STEVENS ” on it, in somewhat of a black print. I own 10 acres of woods/hammock next to a spring in the city of Hudson ,FL just west of Tampa and in the woods,about a foot down,buried,ive uncovered a brick circular structure with a few right angles coming off of it,and the bricks mentioned above have been found….in the early 1900′s my area was a sawmill town and there were also turpentine mills…im wondering if the structure was part of a kiln or something that would be used in an operation like those…..am also wondering if maybe what i found are old pillars from a burned down building….or a burial site…??? in the area also finding old big pieces(palm of hand sized) of some kind of structure with manmade forms/curves to it-seems like a cross between concrete and sandstone…

15. Joseph Sasenger says:

I’m selling tons of 110 year old plus red brick, of brick and I am willing to deliver them. I also have a few hundred yellowish street pavers with the HPB CO. printer on them. Joey 636 575-3929. Thank You.

16. Kevin H says:

A friend got 1500 Purington Pavers that she is going to use for garden paths. The previous owner said they were originally from St. Paul streets. They look like this:
    I was wondering if the square indentation on the side with the wording had a purpose? Not all of the bricks had this square indentation.

It was interesting to see some of the bricks with thumb or finger indentations from the people that made them. On a few you could even see a finger print preserved in the brick.

Thanks,
    Kevin

17. jim says:

I have 6 to 700 CHASKA bricks. Imprinted CHASKA , They are smaller than the average brick . some are normal size most are the smaller size. what are they worth ?? I’d like to sell them